From Invasive Plant Control (IPC):
Weed Wrangle®, is a one-day, citywide, volunteer effort to help rescue our public parks and green spaces from invasive species through hands-on removal of especially harmful trees, vines and flowering plants. Typical unwelcome plants are honeysuckle (Lonicera japonica and L. maackii), Chinese privet (Ligustrum sinense), winter creeper (Euonymus fortunei), autumn olive (Elaeagnus umbellata var. parviflora), English ivy (Hedera helix) and kudzu (Pueraria montana var. lobata).
sign up to volunteer
Volunteers at each site will learn the importance of invasive plant management and remove targeted plants by hand and/or with simple gardening tools (like pruners and weed wrenches). Below, you'll find a list of local Weed Wrangle® sites with registration information. The Weed Wrangle® can't happen without your support - we'll see you there!
City of Chattanooga
- Date: March 7th 9am-12pm
- Location: Renaissance Park, 99 Riverside St., Chattanooga TN 37405
- Targeting: privet, honeysuckle, winter-creeper, and clematis
- Additional Information: All tools will be provided. Please wear long pants and close-toed shoes. Bring gloves if
you have them. Work will be on uneven terrain.
Reflection Riding Arboretum & Nature Center
- Date: March 7th 9:30am-12pm
- Location: Meet at Welcome Center
- Targeting: privet, bittersweet, English ivy, and honeysuckle
- Additional Information: Wear long pants, sturdy boots, and closed-toe shoes. Bring a reusable water bottle!
Lookout Mountain Conservancy
- Date: March 7th 9am-1pm
- Location: 1835 Old Wauhatchie Pike
- Targeting: kudzu, privet, english ivy, bush honeysuckle, and euonymus
- Additional Information: Please wear long pants and closed toe shoes. Type shirt is weather dependent.
McCoy Farm & Gardens
Date: March 7th 9am-12pm
Location: McCoy Farm & Gardens, 1604 Taft Highway, Signal Mountain TN 37377
Targeting: k udzu, bitterweet, privet hedge, English ivy
Additional Information: The Mission of McCoy Farm & Gardens is to restore, enhance and preserve the historic
McCoy home-place so that it may serve the community as an arboretum, natural area, and venue for
public and private events.
Waterways & Enterprise South Nature Park
- Date: March 7th 10am-12pm
- Location: Enterprise South Nature Park
- Targeting: privet and Japanese honeysuckle
- Additional Information: Please remember to bring water, dress appropriately for the weather, and wear closed-
toed shoes. Gloves will be provided. Bring tools if you have them! To register, email [email protected]
Signal Mountain Stewards
- Rain Date: March 7th 1pm-4pm
- Location: Town park located at intersection of Palisades and Norvell across from entrance to Carriage Hill subdivision.
- Targeting: English ivy, privet, bush honeysuckle, oriental bittersweet
- Additional Information: Bring large and small clippers, shovels, metal bow rake, gloves, and a water bottle. Wear sturdy shoes and long pants.
Chickamauga and Chattanooga National Military Park
- Date: March 7th 9am-12pm
- Location: Sherman Reservation on Missionary Ridge; 3200 Lightfoot Mill Road, Chattanooga TN 37406
- Targeting: Chinese privet
- Additional Information: Wear clothes you don't mind getting dirty and that is appropriate for outdoor work relevant to the weather. A water bottle can be brought. The park will provide all tools and personal protective equipment.