docent volunteer program
Reflection Riding Arboretum & Nature Center docents are stationed around the visitors center and throughout popular spots on the park grounds. They share information with visitors about the plants, hiking trails, and native animals and help visitors decide how to best spend their day exploring 317 acres of beauty. During introductory and ongoing training, docent volunteers will learn fun facts about our organization’s history and the native plants and animals of Tennessee. Volunteers will also build skills around customer service and interpretation, orienteering, and more. With the bulk of our visitorship on Saturdays and Sundays, weekend availability is a must. Docents must commit to at least two shifts per month to maintain their status.
- Be at least 18 years old
- Be kind and enthusiastic
- Have some some background in (or a passion for learning) customer service, biology, zoology, or related fields
- Available for at least 5 hours once per month
- Be able to stand and walk for long stretches
- Extend the utmost hospitality to all visitors
- Answer visitor questions
- Seek out visitors who look lost or confused; offer them directions, knowledge, and a friendly face
- Foster a passion for biodiversity among our members and visitors
- Attend all 3 training sessions on consecutive Saturdays starting February 3, 2018 from 10 am - 2 pm
- Pass an assessment at the conclusion of the training course
- After 1 calendar year, docents will attend a yearly training to expand and refresh their knowledge
- Commit to at least two shifts per month, on Saturdays or Sundays from 12 - 5 pm starting March 1
- We especially need docents on Saturdays - our busiest day of the week!
- Once docents become comfortable with their work, additional opportunities may arise, such as festival outreach, volunteer leadership, and more!