John Alexander Chambliss, an attorney and entrepreneur with a flair and a vision, often rode his horse down the Ochs trails – all the way to beyond Lookout Creek. It was a peaceful sanctuary from the trials and pressures of the hectic business world, and he drank in the beauty and serenity of the woods, streams and rocks.
In early 1926, he bought a small farm along Lookout Creek and made a few attempts at farming. When a larger place along the stream came available in 1941, he acquired it through the help of his friends, Harold and Marie Humphreys, whom he often visited at Elmwood Farm on the west side of the creek. Chambliss in a few years more was the owner of 300 acres situated deep in the woods along Lookout Creek.
Portions of it were worn and eroded, covered with honeysuckle and almost impenetrable. But John Chambliss saw the possibilities. He hired an expert bulldozer man, Ellis Bishop, and the pair studiously and lovingly fashioned winding and undulating lanes that gracefully clung to the lands contours and opened up spectacular vistas of the distant countryside….(more later)