Candy Flats History

Candy Flats History

– ’tis much he dares,
And to that dauntless temper of his mind,
He hath a wisdom that doth guide his valour
To act in safety

William Shakespeare

During the Battle of Lookout Mountain in November, 1863, 3,000 Union troops were moving in a line that extended to the base of the bluffs you see above toward Point Park near the Peace Monument, the granite shaft which towers on the summit. General Geary was in command. In this area, about a mile from where his troops crossed Lookout Creek, numbers of Confederate pickets were observed. General Geary judged it would be unwise to leave them behind to attack his troops advancing along the slope in the rear.

Col. Charles Candy of the 66th Ohio was ordered to the “flats”, as the reports read, to “scour the fields.” His troops did so. Along the banks of Lookout Creek several hundred pickets were captured.

Col. Candy and his troops then returned to aid in the fighting on the slopes. Later in the day he fell among the rocks and was severely injured.

His command spent the night in the gloom and rain and cold at the base of the bluffs on the eastern side of the mountain. To avoid observation they were without fires. The fighting continued at intervals until 3 a.m., when the Confederates retired.

Historical text written by William O. Steele, award-winning children’s author from Signal Mountain, Tennessee

Hours of Operation • Monday thru Saturday 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. • Sunday (April - October) 1:00 p.m. to 5:00 p.m.
Please note the last time to drive through loop is 4:30 p.m. • Gates close at 5:00 p.m.