In 1803 Caster Vaught was sent here by the Federal Government to build a mill for the Cherokee Indians as part of a treaty payment to them. Along the banks of Lookout Creek, Chickamauga Indians fought the frontiersmen who came here with “Nola-chucky Jack” Sevier to avenge Indian raids. The mill was located on Lookout Creek where ancient trails crossed. The millstones found at Reflection Riding are believed to be the ones brought by Vaught from Blount County down the Tennessee River by flatboat in 1803.
Later the Cherokees were ousted from this section and sent west along “The Trail of Tears.” The millstones, however, stayed in place to grind grain for the white settlers. And these same stones were used in Light’s Mill when the Federals crossed the milldam to begin “The Battle of Lookout Mountain.”
Text taken from William O. Steel’s “The Story of Reflection Riding”