Our Southern Flying Squirrel was born December 28, 2005 and purchased from a Texas breeder. He arrived at Reflection Riding in February 2006. This species generally lives 4 to 5 years in the wild, but up to 13 years in captivity.
- The Southern Flying Squirrel is the most carnivorous of all tree squirrels.
- Despite its name, the flying squirrel does not fly, but glides from tree to tree, or from tree to ground.
- They are extremely nocturnal, and therefore we rarely see them.
What to look for:
- He is a voracious eater and extremely fast.
- If you get a glimpse of him, check out his large eyes and flat tail.
Download more interesting information about Southern Flying Squirrels!
Animal Diversity: Southern Flying Squirrel